Shortly after getting into my first Web Design role after graduating, coming out of that University bubble after all the late nights, the dissertations, the ‘wealth’ of new knowledge you gained, I realised that what I *thought* I knew was no more than the bare minimum to get by. Ok it got me my first job but it terrified me how much I thought a new compared what I was expected to know. My boss at the time was a very understanding person. Upon starting my frist job, one of the first things he showed me was the ’30 Steps to Mastery’. This was a pretty accurate idea of what went through my head when starting out in my career (and I’m sure a lot of people agree). It’s not just applicable to Web Design, you can apply this to any industry and it still makes sense. Just remember to keep f**king going!
2. Keep going.
3. You think you’re starting to get the hang of it.
4. You see someone else’s work and feel undeniable misery.
5. Keep going.
6. Keep going.
7. You feel like maybe, possibly, you kinda got it now.
8. You don’t.
9. Keep going.
10. You ask for someone else’s opinion–their response is standoffish, though polite.
12. Keep going.
13. Keep going.
14. You ask someone else’s opinion–their response is favorable.
15. They have no idea what they’re talking about.
16. Keep going.
17. You feel semi-kinda favorable and maybe even a little proud of what you can do now.
18. Self-loathing chastisement.
20. Keep going.
21. You ask someone else’s opinion–they respond quite favorably.
22. They’re still wrong.
24. Keep going though you can’t possibly imagine why.
25. Become restless.
26. Receive some measure of praise from a trustworthy opinion.
27. They’re still f**king wrong (Right?)
28. Keep going just because there’s nothing else to do.
29. Mastery arrives, you mistake it for a gust of wind.
30. Keep. F**king. Going.